Monday, January 11, 2016

Writer or Author?


I’ve been spending lots of time on Facebook Writers’ Groups and taking in the various posts. The impression I get is that Amazon is not for me at the moment so I’m happy to continue doing what I’m doing which is offering my books on my own website menakoo.com for sale. Working on my next two books to complete my bucket list is a lot more challenging than writing the first two. I find the technical and business end of publishing books very distracting. 


So far, there was only one negative feedback and it was a customer who was not comfortable reading e-books on any device other than a Kindle. As well, many e-books are pirated so my e-books are encrypted with a password and watermark, which I’m told disallow features like highlighting and making notes. We are working on allowing readers to highlight and write notes. 


The world of self-publishing is so competitive but I’m in a very small niche so I don’t have to deal with hundreds to thousands of competing books, all fighting for attention. That said, my books are not exactly popular reading material. I can’t reverse engineer this process by figuring out first what genres sell and then write for those markets. I write what I have lived. I write what I know. It is what it is.


Writing Different Realities is not as exciting when compared to writing Changing Orbits and The Dance of the Chi. Writing my memoir and the “chi” book was a process of tapping into my inner self and also the collective. I had to be in a “writing zone” 24/7. It was like living in a cave. Different Realities is moreorless about sharing other people’s stories and research. It’s a more academic exercise although I am both author and writer in this one. What’s the difference between an author and a writer? Please see this article:  http://www.differencebetween.net/business/difference-between-author-and-writer/.



No comments:

Post a Comment